Pit Senyor! The country’s grandest celebration, the Sinulog Festival of Cebu City, culminates every third weekend of January with religious revelries and exuberant all-day street dancing in honor of Santo Niño (Holy Child Jesus). While rooted in solemn veneration, the popular festival has built an all-inviting celebratory mood through the decades, includes music concerts, dance parties, and other special events.
Leading telecommunications company Globe once again partakes in this year’s festivities! During the festival, make sure you stay well connected. Surprises await those who visit Globe stores across Cebu. Those who load at least P50 can also get cool #GlobeSinulog freebies. For the whole month of January, Globe subscribers can also trade in their 3G SIM cards to the new and improved LTE SIM at special booths all over Cebu and Mandaue.
Here’s a round-up of not-to-be-missed activities throughout the festive weekend:
January 19 (Friday)
- Warm up the festival spirit by joining the Goal Getters Challenge — running at Plaza Independencia throughout the weekend — with your friends! The challenge will have three rounds and the customer who accomplishes all of the rounds in the shortest time will be declared the Ultimate Goal Getter of the Day and win exciting prizes. The Ultimate Barkada Goal Getters will also be awarded with special prizes such as GMovies tickets and a staycation.
January 20 (Saturday)
- Rise and shine for one of the festival highlights: the fluvial parade along the Mactan Channel. Commemorating the arrival of the sacred image in 1521, the Santo Niño will be ferried from Lapu-Lapu City to Pier 1 in Cebu City, accompanied by a fleet of decorated ships and boats. Join the event by boarding a vessel sponsored by resorts or companies, or watch the spectacle from atop one of the two bridges linking Mactan and Cebu.
- A solemn procession, another highlight attended by millions, will carry the image of the Santo Niño though the city streets. It’s an amazing sight to witness the grand scale of this centuries-old devotion to the patron of Cebu.
- Drop by the the #GlobeSinulog Fair (January 20-21) at Garden Bloc, Ayala IT Park where customers can explore booths with fun games and activities. Those who complete the booth activities can win Sinulog-exclusive prizes and freebies! The area will also hold the Globe At Home #Streamfest, where Netflix, HOOQ and FOX titles will be screened. Guests can also create their own content through the YouTube and virtual karaoke booths.
January 21 (Sunday)
- The Sinulog Grand Parade — the most anticipated event of the festival — kicks off at 8:00 AM. The parade usually lasts 9 to 12 hours, involving contingents from all over the province of Cebu, as well as performers from across the country. Street dancers perform throughout the streets of Cebu City, before finishing at the Cebu City Sports Center. The performances at the sports complex culminate with a grand fireworks display.
- Multi-awarded rock band Parokya ni Edgar will headlines this year’s musical acts at the TM Republikaravan (5:00 PM to 12:00 AM), a music concert at Plaza Independencia culminating the Goal Getters Challenge.
January 22 (Monday)
- Missed Sunday’s grand parade? Fret not! You can still catch the repeat performance of winning contingents the following day at the awarding ceremony held at Cebu City Sports Center (1:00 PM onwards). Arrive early to get the best seats on the grand stand.
For the complete schedule of activities, visit the official Sinulog website.